Today I want to talk to you about a concept that’s slightly different.
In this video, I talk about the differences between career security and job security some of the benefits of thinking this way is that I am encouraging you to think about career security instead of job security.
How Career Security Is Better Than Job Security
What are the differences between the two?
Job security is the feeling of security that you have when the job you’re heading to today is going to be there tomorrow when you show up.
People who have permanent full-time positions especially if you work for a larger company or government, there is some stability in the fact that you are in that job and you’re not gonna be forced to look for another job anytime soon without any clear warning.
Job Security In today’s Workplace
Today you might have a permanent position at a company but you have the feeling that you know if something were to happen inside the company.
- Ex. The company runs into some financial problems and they have to do layoffs
“It is that you’re not in fear of being able to find the next role or being able to continue to perform in your profession.”
This will apply a lot to a person who wants to become a consultant or a contractor, but it also doesn’t just apply to those folks, it also applies to people who are in permanent positions.
- People in permanent positions can tend to fall into a bit of a trap of thinking that their job is going to be there forever and that they don’t need to really do anything else to worry about having employment or having the ability to perform in their profession on an ongoing basis.
- Especially for people that have been in the job at the same company for a long time, you can fall into this false sense of security in which that job is always going to be there for you.
And more and more we’ve seen that’s the form of job security that existed maybe in the 40s 50s 60s and even 70s, that type of job security is less and less common in today’s workplace.
Not to say that you’re not secure in your job. Majority of people who are in permanent full-time positions usually know. You’re probably very secure relatively speaking in the position that you’re in. So I’m not saying that you know people with permanent positions don’t have job security.
What I’m saying is that the form of job security that your parents or grandparents may have been used to, that form of job security no longer exists. And so for you to be able to evolve with that trend in the job market you have to start thinking about your career in terms of career security.
Career security means that you have the ability to perform in your profession regardless of the job that you’re working at today.
- It is a very different concept in that because what it does is it basically gives you that same sense of security but it’s not tied to any specific job.
- With Career security what you do is you still get that feeling that you are secure in your ability to perform in your career without necessarily having to rely on one very specific job.
- People who think in terms of career security always take the steps necessary to give themselves that sense that it’s easy for them to continue in their profession regardless of what happens to that job.
- People who have a good sense of career security typically don’t panic in certain situations because they understand that their career is secure.
It’s not as easy to get yourself into a position of career security but if you take some of the right steps and you start to shift your mindset slightly from the way that you might be thinking about your career today, it’s definitely not impossible for you to be able to shift yourself into a position where you’re aiming to have career security or that you will actually achieve career security over job security.
And so with career security, I would argue that you have a much better form of security with career security.
The Benefits of Career Security
One of the benefits is in the definition itself, you know the benefit is that you will have a higher form of security.
But the thing you might not think about is that it also has a huge benefit for your employer because your employer benefits in the following ways because again it’s one of these things that might not seem common sense, but if you actually think it through, it makes a whole lot of sense as to why your current employer might want you to feel secure in your career instead of just in your job. This two huge benefits.
- You can go to work day-to-day without having to wonder whether that job is going to be there for you
- A person who has career security does not ever operate in a scarcity mindset
It’s a mindset where you’re constantly worried and thinking about whether or not you will be able to have certain resources available to you.
- I won’t be able to support my family
- I don’t know how to fulfil my financial obligations
- I won’t be able to pay my bills.
That being in that mindset erodes your ability to perform in your own job at your current job. And so if your employer is thinking about how they can get the most value out of the work that you do for them, it’s in their best interest to make sure you feel secure in your career.
It incentivizes them to create a work environment for you that you actually want to work in. Because that’s where you’re going to be the most productive when you don’t have any fear of any of the things that you know is really important to you.
It frees up your mind from being able to worry about that stuff and really focus on the work that you’re actually doing. And the other thing that it does for you is that it gives you the ability to take a little bit of risk, and that is something especially a business analyst tends not to do.
Take Free Lessons Of The BA BLOCKS Program
The B.A. Blocks program has been designed specifically to help you understand and overcome the biggest challenges of the B.A. profession.
Sign up for a free membership at LEARN.BA to take the first six lessons of the B.A. Block’s program completely free of charge for your BA career.