Requirements sessions are a key activity that business analysts need to perform.
In this video, I offer three pointers on how to run better requirements sessions.
WHAT IS A REQUIREMENTS SESSION?
Requirements sessions are one of the key activities that gets executed during the execution phase of the project.
- The majority of the work actually happens outside of the requirements session.
- Know who’s attending your session.
- Choose your tools wisely.
Let’s elaborate on this…
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
The majority of the work happens outside of the requirements session. You should never show up empty handed.
Let’s say a requirements session is 2 hours long. You should allocate about 3-4 hours before the session to prepare and ensure the session goes smoothly and to get the most out of the session. Allocate about 2 hours after the session while things are fresh in your mind. This ensures you’ve fully captured the requirements.
KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE
- IT’S IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW WHO THE PERSON IS AND THEIR HISTORY
- PRE-EMPTIVELY IDENTIFY SOME ISSUES THAT THEY MAY RAISE, AND START TO FORMULATE SOME ANSWERS
- KNOW WHAT ANGLE THEIR COMING FROM
DON’T SHOW UP EMPTY HANDED
These are some things that should be prepared for your requirements session:
- Agenda – this outlines the items you’ll be covering in the session and mentally prepares the stakeholders what to expect from the duration of the session.
- Primary Display. Secondary display.
- Whiteboards – set the framework for the rest of the meeting. Draw out conceptual diagrams. Walk the audience through
- Visio – use visio is the subject matter is thin. If the subject matter is dense, it’s best to walk the users through a journey on a whiteboard
- Ability to retain people’s attention in the session.
- Handouts (secondary display). Benefits are that handouts take the away from you, and allows you to focus on starting the meeting. Handouts allow you refer to the different parts of the handout throughout the session. This reduces the amount of things that you have to memorize throughout the session. It reduces the cognitive load off your memory and allows you to focus more facilitating the conversation. Chances are the audience has identified something their interested in the handout, and can’t wait to contribute on that subject.